My Top 10 Favourite things to do while Running


SO.
Like everyone else in the world... I. Am. Addicted to Pintrest. 
On my last venture through the pinning world I recently pinned a run calendar that had a few fun ideas to make my running more interesting and challenging called:  

30-Day Running Challenge: 30 Ways to #RunForFun

With yesterdays weather being as beautiful as it was, and my legs being in desperate need of some sunshine, I seized my opportunity and took some time for myself to run.

It had been a couple of days since I last ran, I've been a tad lazy... probably because I had been bored with my previous running. So I decided to give some of these "ideas" a try.

Super Duper Fun thing to do when Running #1: Sing Out Loud

This was not on the list, but is my top number 1 fun thing to do... always actually. I didn't think I'd be able to do it while running, you know getting out of breath and all, but it actually made the run that more challenging. Trying to control my breathing, pace, and voice from shaking was tough. But I found that I was far more concentrated on my run while having fun and singing some good tunes! Only made it through one song before I lost my breath but practice makes perfect ;)

Super Duper Fun thing to do when Running #2: Be A Greeter

It not only brings a smile to your face, but that smiles passes on to those you smile to. It's also fun to stare at people through your sunglasses with a straight face while they stare at the ground walking up to you. When they feel your eyes and look up, flash them your best smile and nod. They'll remember you the next time and smile back, and in sticky situations they'll remember how kind you were and even give you a hand. (e.g. A group of joggers were in front of me and when I smiled at one, they all moved to the side and smiled back. Sharing is caring!)

Super Duper Fun thing to do when Running #3: Mailbox Sprints

This doesn't necessarily have to be mailboxes, yesterday I used a man hole that crossed my path as a "start" line and ran full tilt until I reached the next man hole or sewer that crossed my path. I had to resort to a large hole in the cement on my path in place of the man hole but I managed a good sweat and quite a distance. All around thumbs up!

Super Duper Fun thing to do when Running #4: Run Backwards

Actually not as hard as you think. This is one that I was surprised to see on the list. I was walking backwards one day during my workout, just to stretch my legs out a bit and work out other muscles. But once you start to walk backwards, running backwards just comes so naturally!! Plus it's super fun to run down a busy street on the sidewalk and midway running, switch to backwards and watch the reactions of cars going by. Make sure that your path is clear when you do decide to go backwards, and watch the sidewalk, if it looks like your running on an angle, you probably are. Play safely!!

Super Duper Fun thing to do when Running #5: DIY Sports Drink

I've recently transformed my diet to incorporate Coconut Oil which is a high source of natural energy, so this additive is the perfect bit to make a do it yourself sports drink! I prefer to have it after my work out so I can replenish what nutrient's I've lost through sweating. My favorite drink to make is a Chocolate Mint Smoothie with a table spoon of coconut oil to give me that burst of energy! (You can read about my smoothie and other recipe ideas when I publish my post on "My Journey Into Coconut Oil" stay tuned!)

Super Duper Fun thing to do when Running #6: Run Opposite of your Route

I can't always get out and venture new paths so this idea was great to shake up my regular routine. Just take your regular route, and where you would normally end, start. I never noticed how much I didn't pay attention, and when I took it backwards, it actually took me longer just because I was taking in the view. (I had no idea I passed a forest on my route... )

Super Duper Fun thing to do when Running #7: Collect Coins

I haven't got to do this one yet, but it is a terrific idea. At first sight I was thinking, (hoping actually) that I would be expected to assume the role play of Super Mario and perhaps randomly jump in the air, as if I were hitting boxes and being rewarded with coins. Unfortunately this is not the case. It is exactly as you may imagine it. See a penny, pick it up. All day long you'll have good luck. Well... that won't work with pennies anymore. But collect spare change and bring it home and stick it in a jar, then use said moneys to buy yourself something nice! 

Super Duper Fun thing to do when Running #8: Run in the Rain

This isn't really something you can plan, unless you plan it right as the rain starts. This is my personal favorite out of the bunch. It's a refreshing feeling, and builds resistance as your clothes soak in the water and weigh down your body. I also love the cooling sensation of the rain falling on you and the wind blowing it all around you. But I would suggest leaving music and other electronics at home. Don't worry, the sound of rain water can be very therapeutic. ;) 

Super Duper Fun thing to do when Running #9: Play "I Spy"

 I warn you, this is not for the faint of heart. I tried this at the end of my run last night. The idea is to call out something, for example "I spy a red car". Of course, there is a red car. So I stop. Drop. And do 20 sit ups. Choose your areas wisely. I ended up doing sit ups on the side walk on a busy road and of course, every red car that passed by was an additional 20 sit ups! I regret nothing.

Super Duper Fun thing to do when Running #10: Wear a sign

I'm doing this one tomorrow. Just something fun and silly. I'm open to ideas for what my sign should say. In some cases this could dual as extra research for someone who works with polls and points of interest. Every honk is a "pro" vote for the questions and every silent driver is either oblivious, doesn't care, or simply chooses no. Not the most reliable but can't do any harm! Take a buddy with you and wear signs you've made for each other! It'll make your run that more interactive. 

These are just a collection of the ideas that caught my eye, and I've either tried in the past or was looking to try and did. Tell me about you fun and exciting ideas for your #RunForFun I'd love to see how creative you can get!


Please visit:
http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/running/runforfun-running-challenge/
For more ideas and full details on the 30-Day Running Challenge: 30 Ways to #RunForFun.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weight loss Journey - Week 1 Revenge Body Realness

Weight loss Hacks THAT WORK